The 38th American Sugar Alliance International Sweetener Symposium will be held in Napa, California
August 4-8, 2023
UPDATE: The 38th International Sweetener Symposium Room Block is now open.
Plan now to attend the 38th International Sweetener Symposium in Napa, California. This year’s symposium will be held August 4-8, 2023, at the spectacular Meritage Resort & Spa and the Grand Reserve at the Meritage. These sister properties are located on the same campus with a quick 3 minute door-to-door walk. To make reservations at the MERITAGE RESORT AND SPA, click HERE. To make reservations at the GRAND RESERVE AT THE MERITAGE, click HERE. Due to the popularity of this meeting, the room block is expected to sell out. If you have any difficulties making your reservations, please contact [email protected] to be added to the waitlist.
Attendance at this year’s Symposium is a must for sugar industry leaders and stakeholders. Following the 2022 midterm elections, Congress will need to focus on renewing the Farm Bill in 2023. Our experts will assess the potential implications for U.S. farm policy and the U.S. sugar program with insights on how the new Congress’ views will shape the discussions. Farm bill programs as well as changing trade dynamics will be important to evaluate in the context of rising costs of production. Market analysts will update us on the supply-demand outlook for U.S., North American, and world markets.
- Politics: The 118th Congress ushered in new Members and changes in leadership and Committees. With the reauthorization of the 2023 Farm Bill approaching, as well as 218 House members and 26 Senators who have never voted on sugar policy, how will the industry and American agriculture fare?
- 2023 Farm Bill: What lessons have Members of Congress learned from COVID, global conflict and climate disasters that will shape farm policy and strengthen food security? High input costs, falling farm incomes, legal threats to pesticides and scarce labor supplies present threats to farmers’ long-term economic survival. What will be needed?
- Trade Outlook: Global supply chain disruptions are magnified by geo-political uncertainty. What are the Biden Administration’s trade priorities with existing and future trade agreements? What does the continued erosion of the multilateral trading systems mean for sugar markets?
- Embracing Innovation: Innovation is key to climate and sustainability solutions. What will help U.S. sugar farmers meet some of the highest sustainability standards in the world? Genetics, crop protection, and clean engines are just a few of the best practices and continuous improvement.
- Food Industry Insights: How are food manufacturers responding to consumer preferences and latest trends? What does that mean for the U.S and global sugar industry?
In addition to the compelling program content, the Symposium schedule allows free time every afternoon to enhance your industry relations in this spectacular setting.
Learn more about the Meritage Resort and Spa
The Meritage Resort & Spa and the Grand Reserve at the Meritage are this year’s Symposium host hotels. These luxurious sister properties are located within the same complex and offer exquisite room accommodations, a European spa, tasting rooms on property, a bowling alley, swimming pool, an arcade, dining, recreation, and more with several golf courses located close by. This ideal location offers the best of both worlds. With a quick 5-minute shuttle ride, you can access bustling downtown Napa which offers a bounty of dining, tasting rooms, and shopping. You can also easily access the fabled vineyards and fields, rolling hills and stately wineries that make this region reminiscent of the Bordeaux region in the South of France.
To make reservations at the Meritage Resort & Spa, click HERE. To make reservations at the Grand Reserve at the Meritage, click HERE. Due to the popularity of this meeting, the room block is expected to sell out. If you have any difficulties making your reservations, please contact [email protected] to be added to the waitlist. Please know that we have a wait list every year; however, we typically clear the wait list by the meeting dates.
Learn More about Napa, California
Located in northern California, the renowned Napa Valley is home to more than 400 wineries ranging from boutique to large scale operations, many highly acclaimed and praised by connoisseurs worldwide. The area’s success in winemaking has fueled an equal passion for food. Napa is home to two institutes dedicated to advancing the culinary arts, the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) and The American Center for Wine, Food and the Arts (COPIA). Nationally and regionally famous chefs have chosen Napa as the site for their signature restaurants, making Napa Valley one of the finest dining destinations in the world. The area also offers a wealth of California history and other recreational opportunities including bicycling, hot air ballooning, horseback riding, shopping, and mineral bath and spa resorts. With sun filled days and a dry climate, Napa offers low humidity and August averages temperatures of 83°(high) and 55° (low). For more information on Napa Valley visit https://www.visitnapavalley.com/, https://www.meritageresort.com/best-way-to-experience-napa-valley, https://www.napavalley.com/explore/.
AIR TRANSPORTATION: Getting to the Meritage Resort is easy with several commercial airports located within driving distance of Napa as follows:
- 70 miles from San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- 63 miles from Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- 75 miles from Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- 94 miles from San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- 34 miles from Sonoma County Airport (STS)
While traffic varies from the various airports, when comparing the SFO, OAK and SMF airports, the “drive time” is traditionally shortest from the Sacramento airport.
- Rental Cars & Parking: Rental cars are available at all major airports. The hotel offers complimentary self-parking for guests of the Meritage, and valet parking ($30/day) for guests of the Vista Collina.
- Private Transportation Services: Private transportation services, such as limos, SUVS or buses, may be reserved for transportation to/from the airport. For more information, visit visitnapavalley.com
- Uber and Lyft: While Uber and Lyft may be available at the airport, availability of services for the return trip from the hotel to airport is less reliable. Additionally, some wineries require their guests to have confirmed transportation prior to accepting their wine tasting reservations; therefore, Uber and Lyft may not be the optimal option for wine tasting outings during your stay in Napa.
- Do I need a car in Napa? Once on property at The Meritage Resort / Grand Reserve Resort complex, you can enjoy several wine tasting rooms and recreational activities. Additionally, the resort offers complimentary shuttle service to downtown Napa (5 minute ride) which boasts a broad range of dining and wine tasting experiences, shopping and more. Several of the optional tour companies will pick up from the hotel. However, if you want to truly explore the Napa Valley on your own, a rental car is highly recommended.
Optional tours information will be forthcoming. In the meantime, for general information on the Napa Valley, visit https://www.visitnapavalley.com/, https://www.meritageresort.com/best-way-to-experience-napa-valley, https://www.napavalley.com/explore/
The Symposium is attended by approximately 500 people to hear the most significant and timely updates on issues affecting the industry, and to network with their sweetener industry colleagues. In addition to the compelling program content, the Symposium schedule allows free time every afternoon to enhance your industry relations in this comfortable setting.
Additional details on the 38th International Sweetener Symposium will be available here on our website in March 2023. This is one industry meeting you won’t want to miss!
August 4 (Friday)
1:00-5:00 p.m. – Registration
All Day – Optional Tours
August 5 (Saturday)
8:00a.m.-7:00p.m. – Registration
All Day – Optional Tours
6:00-7:00p.m. – Meet & Greet Reception
August 6 (Sunday)
8:00a.m.-9:00p.m. – Registration
All Day – Optional Tours
8:00a.m.-1:00p.m. – ASA Golf Tournament
7:00-9:00p.m. – Welcome Reception Gala
August 7 (Monday)
7:30-8:45a.m. – Breakfast Session
8:45a.m.-12:15p.m. – General Session
12:15-2:00p.m. – ASA Annual Meeting/Luncheon Session
Afternoon & Evening On Your Own
August 8 (Tuesday)
7:30a.m.-8:45a.m. – Breakfast Session
8:45a.m.-12:15p.m. – General Session
12:15-2:00p.m. –Luncheon Session
Afternoon On Your Own
6:00-10:00p.m. – Finale Dinner
August 9 (Wednesday)
All Day – Departures